Today I finished my first Archer. I saw them popping up on blogs for a long time now and always planned on making one. I do wear button-ups a lot, mostly in some kind of plaid. Somehow I never got around actually purchasing the pattern and get started. A few weeks ago I found this wonderful printed chambray and orderd 2 yards. I don´t know exactly what drew me to this fabric, as I´m usually not the nautical kind of a girl.
I made a couple of changes on the pattern though. I cut out size 0 but graded to a size 2 on the hipline. I pretty much ignored the instructions and just went along like I always sew button up shirts. But I did try out this tutorial for putting in a collar. It worked great and I´ll use this method from now on as it´s a lot easier!
I exchanged the placket for the one in the Tyler shirt because looks much more sophisticated that way. I love the angled corners on the cuff! I cut the fabric for the cuff on the bias, as the button band, the pocket and the back yoke to break up the pattern of the anchors.
I´m very proud how the anchors line up. Usually I´m too lazy to bother with this and avoid fabric pattern where I have to do it. But it looks really good and looks very tailored 🙂
I made a smaller pocket as the original one looked ridiculouslly big. I never use these pockets, they´re only for decoration 🙂
I really like my first Archer, there are more to come in the future. I´m planning on making a flannel plaid one. The summer here in Vienna surely calls for one.