A few weeks back my sister told me, that my former babysitter-kid needs a prom dress. My first thought was “Prom dress? God, I´m old!!”. The girls has grown up now to this beautiful 15-year old who is going to a prom soon. So I got to work and made her a dress.
She bought the fabrics herself, a dark red lining taffeta, a black duchesse and a wonderful burgundy fabric, for which I don´t know the englisch name. In german it´s called a Borkencrepe. It´s sheer like chiffon but creped and with a little more grip and structure. It´s made out of viscose.
For the pattern I used McCalls6893 in the smallest size and needed to take in a few cm at the waist for her hourglass figure. After making the mousseline I started the real dress yesterday in the evening. The measurement chart was far off, according to it I would have had to make it 2 sizes larger.
For the boning I used my spiral steel from corset making. I never use plastic boning as it tends to deform or crack and never gives the support a spiral steel can give you. I put boning in the front side seams and the back side seams. I always have the problems that the caps of the boning tend to slide of, so I dipped the ends in liquid gum, the kind you use for isolating cables.
For the casing I used bias tape, so it follows the curve of the front seams.
I made french seams for all the skirt seams, so it won´t show any serged seams when she´s dancing and twirling:
The bodice got an underlining out of the lining fabric with the addition of iron on interfacing. I hand basted the viscose parts to the underlining and used them as one layer.
The dress got a 6cm sash on the waistline with an attachable bow, so she can wear the bow on the side or on the back. This picture captures the colour best.
The dress came together suprisingly fast and it was fun to make. Other than the weird mearsurement chart everything came together nicely. I hope she has a blast wearing it to the prom 🙂