Today I´m sharing a dress I made last year with you. I wanted a victorian dress from ca. 1880, where the natural form tornure was popular. The dresses had no bustle with boning underneath the skirt, just a light padding with bumpads.
The dress took me a few months to complete with the underwear and the hat. I used silk dupioni for the main dress and the corset, voile for the chemise and cotton for the underskirt. The skirt has yards over yards of folds on the hemline.
Sorry for the messy hair, I had like 5 minutes to change into the dress and do my hair. The hat was a mini straw hat I bought at Nehelenia. I draped the silk with long narrow pleats to lie flat on the top part. It has a hair comb on one side, so it doesn´t slide off my head while moving.
I didn´t like any of the patterns for the apron overskirt I found, so I drafted it myself. The waist closes with a skirt hook, so the ties are really just to underline the shilloutte. On the side are 3 decorative buttons made out of the purple dupioni.Here is a close up of the bodice, it took me a few trys to get the fit right, the pattern was an original from 1880, and the body shape was a lot different than now.
I really enjoyed making this ensemble from the underwear to the hat. Now I only need an occasion to wear it 🙂